It was also voted as Smooth's number one song in the 2018 All Time Top 500! This was a mammoth hit across the world in 2012, and featured American singer Janelle Monae on vocals. The song was a huge hit around the world, giving Daft Punk their first UK number one, and sold over 9 million copies worldwide. But the album’s centerpiece “Fear” focused on Kendrick the human being.

He said the song was "about writing to someone to tell them how I feel about losing someone. ", Picture: Released in the US in 2009, this country power ballad became a UK hit a year later. Die 2010er Jahre sind noch nicht ganz vorbei und trotzdem fangen wir hier schon mal an die besten Lieder dieses Jahrzehnts zu sammeln.

Sam said the song is about "the moment in the morning after a one night stand, where the person you are with leaves your house, and you are left by yourself, and it's just a second, where you are just like: 'I wish, I wish'. It had become one of the biggest country-pop crossover hits in their homeland for nearly a decade.

Initially written as a folk song, Carly later said that it is "basically a pick up. Katy said of the retro-sounding song's inspiration: "I thought about my own adolescent years, my own first love. “Self Control” is about the nearing end of an affair. And yet the spiked glee that’s wrapped around the lyric “Bet you rue the day you kissed a writer in the dark” is worth the agony and ecstasy of flinging herself wholly and willingly into the destructive arms of heartache in the first place. This electropop anthem was the lead single from Australian star Sia's sixth album 1000 Forms of Fear, and focuses on the melancholic theme of "the glitter and fatigue of a party girl's life". Co-written with Ed Sheeran, the song is a 'kiss-off' to a narcissistic ex-lover who treated Justin badly. To celebrate the end of the 2010s, Entertainment Weekly is looking back at the best pop culture of the decade that changed movies, TV, music, and … —Katherine Turman, Credit: It's not the kind of song you'd expect me and Ed to write, as we're bubbly characters, but we were able to open up to each other.". But not silently. He said, 'I guess you just have to keep your heart clean' and that sparked the whole song. This was the moment all Take That fans had wanted for decades. This homage to old-school funk and disco-pop gave Mark Ronson a humongous hit in 2014, even if several bands including the Gap Band claimed copyright infringement claims against him. Fans debated if the song was about frontman Chris Martin's split from wife Gwyneth Paltrow (aka their 'unconscious uncoupling'), which had been announced a few months previously. “Take all my problems and drink out the bottle and f–k on a model,” he starts his verse, portraying the empty craving of an addict. Offers may be subject to change without notice. American singer Christina Perri had previously achieved chart success with power ballad 'Jar of Hearts', and she repeated the feat with this modern love song classic. The song helped Queen Elsa embrace her abilities and escape her self-imposed shackles, and became a metaphor for anyone feeling restricted in their own life. From Frank Ocean, Kacey Musgraves, Adele (obv), and more. Who knew that would make chart gold? It means so much to Musgraves she even played it at her grandmother’s funeral. While the singer never specifically said the piano pop-ballad was related to the producer, the song, fueled by her demons and suicidal thoughts, became an act of courage and a lesson in forgiveness. But I think with that contentment also comes sadness. Sia wrote the lyrics to this R&B anthem in just 14 minutes, which is just ridiculous when you think about it. The band explained that the song is about "laying in bed awake at night when you're stressed out of your mind, thinking 'How are we gonna make ends meet? Entertainment Weekly is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. He said that he wrote the song "in a relationship at a really, really happy point". Inspired by disco tracks by Ultravox, Donna Summer and Sylvester, Swedish legend Robyn recorded this excellent dance-pop ballad about someone who dances alone in a club while watching her ex-lover with another woman. Mraz said of the track: "As many of my songs are, I write for the purpose of understanding what the hell's going on in my life, my position in the world, processing that lesson and that miracle that I'm learning.

The imagery of someone holding tight to their umbrella in a struggle to protect themselves against the elements of life contrasts with the beautiful promise of a rainbow hanging over their head — a symbol of better times ahead. "I think people can guess that it’s that kind of heartbreak, when you’ve kind of come back home, and you realise a moment has kind of hit you a lot harder than you even though," Freya exclusively told Smooth Radio. The debut single from New Zealand singer Lorde, it has been dubbed by some as the ultimate anthem for millenials. I didn't think I had a hit, but knew it was special, to me anyway.". It rolls multiple stages of relationship-ending grief into a single track — and Adele’s selling of it only makes the pain linger more beautifully. You simply couldn't escape this song in late 2013 and essentially all of 2014. You just couldn't escape this song in 2013 (or even now after Frozen 2 came out), sung by the "wickedly talented" (as John Travolta would say) Adele Dazeem Idina Menzel. Charming. Adam Young's catchy pop tune was a hit in the States at the very end of 2009, but crossed over into the new decade in the UK, reaching number one for three weeks. And it was definitely worth the wait.

2019. This ballad broke so many records at the time it was hard to keep count. But the admission that however claustrophobic the love was, there’ll always be a place for him in her heart is the clincher. The gospel-disco song was apparently inspired by a Nashville US tour bus driver, and written in one afternoon after Adele's breakup with her boyfriend. Hier eine Liste mit den besten englischen Songs, die in den 2010er große Erfolge feiern konnten: We've gone back through the '10s to rank our favourite singles from 2010 to 2019. How are we gonna pay the bills?'